| First floor, centre Censier (Sorbonne Nouvelle) |
Lectures
and seminars have just set off at full steam, in full-speed French, and
full of knowledge, at the Sorbonne Nouvelle. In my folly, I had
believed that my capabilities in French were already being healthily stretched, but, as it
turns out, this was only a prelude. Seminars last for at least
ninety minutes and sometimes for as long as three hours, and the lecturers make no linguistic concession to foreign students. I feel like a 2CV at Le Mans as I try to block out the booming lecturer next door (in English, of all languages!), to figure out what that was that came after 'Il faut absolument...' or 'Vous êtes obligés de...',
and to conceal the steam hissing from my ears! In comparison to
one-hour lectures generally delivered in English - and here come two
words which are, with good reason, not usually juxtaposed - Cambridge
seems almost easy. (The word 'almost' is important). The apparent
confusion of some of the French students is some
consolation, although turning to ask me if I understood does not improve
matters!
It
must be added, even in the midst of the madness, that this is how it
ought to be. Among the very important things which this year abroad is
designed to teach me (by fire, it seems), and which I must learn now if I
am ever to do so, is the true and authentic use of French. If this be
at ninety miles an hour (perhaps I mean 144,8 kilomètres par heure), I must say 'So be it' through gritted teeth!
At any rate, if henceforward there is a slight decline in my posting frequency (wherefore on the Internet there shall be much gladness and rejoicing) it will be either because I am in a lecture, or because I am recovering from it.
At any rate, if henceforward there is a slight decline in my posting frequency (wherefore on the Internet there shall be much gladness and rejoicing) it will be either because I am in a lecture, or because I am recovering from it.
No comments:
Post a Comment